I love a good carrot cake. It's so flavorful, and I love seeing those speckles of carrot in every bite. These carrot cake cupcakes are no exception. They're incredibly moist, loaded with warm spices, and are topped with a cinnamon cream cheese frosting that you could eat with a spoon. They're perfect for an Easter gathering, a spring party, or even just because!
INGREDIENTS FOR CARROT CAKE CUPCAKES
All that stands between you and a delicious carrot cake cupcake are a handful of ingredients and a little bit of time... so let's get baking! Here's a list of everything you will need to get started on a batch of these cupcakes!
• All-purpose flour
• Baking soda + baking powder
• Vegetable oil
• Granulated + brown sugar
• Whole milk
• Vanilla extract
• Grated carrots
MAKING THE CUPCAKES
These carrot cake cupcakes are so simple to make. Star whisking together all of the wet ingredients-- that will be the vegetable oil, sugars, applesauce, eggs, vanilla extract, and milk. Whisk until the mixture is smooth. Then, add in the shredded carrots and mix to combine. Add in the all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and spices to the bowl of wet ingredients. Whisk just until the batter is smooth and there are no more floury bits.
Scoop or pour the batter evenly into a cupcake pan lined with 12 liners. Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 20-21 minutes. Once they're done baking, the tops should spring back to the touch, and a toothpick should come out clean.
INGREDIENTS FOR CINNAMON CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
Just when you think a carrot cake cupcake can't get any more delicious... you load it up with the perfect frosting! This cinnamon cream cheese frosting requires only 6 ingredients and takes just minutes to make. Here's what you'll need.
• Unsalted butter
• Cream cheese
• Powdered sugar
• Vanilla extract
• Pinch of salt
• Heavy cream (optional)
MAKING THE FROSTING
To make the frosting, start by creaming together the cream cheese and unsalted butter for 2 full minutes. Next, mix in the vanilla extract, cinnamon, and pinch of salt. Add in the powdered sugar about a cup at a time. Once everything is added and mixed, beat the frosting again for another 2 minutes. If you want the frosting to be slightly thinner, you can add a splash of heavy cream. If you want it stiffer, add a bit more powdered sugar.
And that's it! You're ready to frost your carrot cake cupcakes!
TIPS FOR THE BEST CARROT CAKE CUPCAKES
While these cupcakes are super easy to whip up, here are just a few tips to make sure they are truly the best carrot cake cupcakes ever!
• Don't overmix your cupcake batter. Like other batters, over mixing the batter can change the texture of the cupcakes and leave them tough or gummy. For best results, be sure to only mix the batter until all the flour has been incorporated.
• Use room temperature ingredients. Using room temperature ingredients in your batter helps ensure that everything mixes smoothly together. So I recommend making sure your butter, eggs, and milk are at room temperature.
• Allow your cupcakes to cool completely before frosting them. Because the frosting contains butter and cream cheese, you don't want to risk it melting! The best way to do so if to make sure your cupcakes are nice and cool when you frost them, and store any leftover frosting in the fridge.
• Add walnuts to the cupcakes. I didn't include walnuts in this recipe, but that doesn't mean you can't! Walnuts are commonly found in carrot cake. You can fold in ½ cup or so of chopped walnuts to the cupcake batter before scooping it into the liners.
If you decide to give these cupcakes a try, I hope you love them! And try not to eat all of them in one sitting 😉
Happy baking! ♥