It's cranberry season! And if you ask me, the ultimate cranberry combo is cranberry and apples! These two fruits are delicious on their own, but even better together, and this cranberry apple crisp is such a delicious pairing of them! It's sweet and tart, full of cozy spices like cinnamon and nutmeg, and covered with a crunchy crisp topping.
INGREDIENTS FOR CRANBERRY APPLE CRISP
This crisp is incredibly easy to make. You are going to need two bowls for this recipe. One will be for the cranberry apple filling, and the other will be for the crisp topping. Here's a list of the ingredients you'll need or the delicious fruit filling.
• Brown sugar
• Vanilla extract
Then for the crumb topping, here's what you'll need:
• Old-fashioned rolled oats
• Brown sugar
• Melted butter
MAKING CRANBERRY APPLE CRISP
This cranberry apple crisp takes just minutes to throw together. Here's what you'll do:
Step 1: Make the fruit filling. To a large bowl, add all of the cranberry apple filling ingredients and mix well to combine.
Step 2: Make the crisp topping. Combine all of the crisp topping ingredients in a bowl. Mix with a fork until everything is combined and the topping forms. The mixture should be clumpy!
Step 3: Assemble the crisp. Pour the fruit mixture into a 9x9 baking dish that has been lightly greased. Spread it out evenly. Then, evenly sprinkle the crisp topping mixture on top of the fruit. Use your hands to break it up into small chunks.
Step 4: Bake it! Pop into a preheated 350°F oven and bake for 40-50 minutes. Once the crisp is done baking, the top should be a light golden brown.
TIPS FOR THE BEST CRANBERRY APPLE CRISP
Don't skimp on the spices! The cinnamon and nutmeg give this crisp great fall flavor and compliment the apples and cranberries so much. Don't forget to add them!
Serve it warm! As far as serving goes, I definitely recommend serving this freshly baked and warm. The only thing that could make it better would be to serve it with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream on top (which is HIGHLY recommended!)
Top it with ice cream. A big scoop of vanilla ice cream is the perfect creamy topping to enjoy with the warm crisp.
If you give this recipe a try and love it, be sure to leave a comment and star rating! Be sure to tag @thehungrykitchenblog on Instagram so I can see all of your delicious bakes! Happy baking! ♥
Cranberry Apple Crisp
Cranberry Apple Filling
- 3 cups honeycrisp apples, peeled and chopped into bite size pieces
- 2 cup cranberries
- ¾ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9x9 baking dish. Set it aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together all of the filling ingredients; this is the apples, cranberries, light brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and flour.
- Combine all of the crisp topping ingredients in a bowl. Mix with a fork until everything is combined and the topping forms. The mixture should be clumpy!
- Pour the fruit mixture into the prepared baking dish. Spread it out evenly. Then, evenly sprinkle the crisp topping mixture on top of the fruit. Use your hands to break it up into small chunks.
- Pop and bake for 40-50 minutes. Once the crisp is done baking, the top should be a light golden brown. Enjoy! Serve as is or with ice cream.