This chocolate cookies and cream snack cake is an Oreo lover's dream. It's a moist chocolate cake that's topped with super fluffy cookies and cream frosting made with crushed Oreo cookies! What more could you possibly ask for in a cake?!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR CHOCOLATE SNACK CAKE
To start, you'll first need to make the cake layer. This chocolate cake super rich and is made with a mix of regular Dutch-processed cocoa powder and black cocoa powder, which is what Oreo cookies are made with! Here's a list of everything you'll need:
• All-purpose flour
• Cocoa powder + black cocoa powder
• Baking powder + baking soda
• Granulated sugar
• Vegetable oil
• Vanilla extract
MAKING THE CAKE
This cake could not be simpler to make! Start by preheating your oven to 350°F. Grease a 9x9 square pan and line it with parchment paper, if desired. Set that aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powders, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and granulated sugar. Next, add the remaining cake ingredients to the bowl. This will be the vegetable oil, egg, milk, coffee, and vanilla extract. Whisk until everything is well combined and your cake batter is smooth.
Pour the finished cake batter into the prepared pan and make sure to spread it evenly in the pan. Pop it in the oven and bake for 28-32 minutes. The cake should spring back to the touch and a toothpick should come out clean. Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes. Then, carefully remove the cake from the pan and onto a cooling rack.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR COOKIES AND CREAM FROSTING
And what's a cake without frosting?! It's light and fluffy and is so good that you'll want to eat it with a spoon! Here's what you'll need to make it:
• Unsalted butter
• Powdered sugar
• Oreo cookies, crushed
• Vanilla extract
• Heavy cream
MAKING THE FROSTING
Using a stand or hand mixer, cream the softened butter until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add in the powdered sugar, salt, and vanilla extract and mix into the butter until combined. Pour in the ⅓ cup of heavy cream mix until combined and the frosting is fluffy. If you want your frosting a little thinner, add a few more tablespoons of heavy cream. Lastly, add in the Oreo cookie crumbs. Once added, beat the frosting on a medium speed for about 2 minutes until it has become super light and fluffy. Now you're ready to frost your cake!
♦ Don't forget the black cocoa! While this cake can definitely be made with all dutch-processed cocoa powder, I do recommend making this cake using a mix of dutch processed and black cocoa. The black cocoa adds such a depth of rich chocolate flavor, and really helps bring out the cookies and cream vibes. I love the King Arthur brand and purchase it on Amazon!
♦ Use room temperature ingredients. For baking, you typically want your (typically cold) ingredients to be room temperature. This will be things like butter, milk, eggs, etc. It helps all of the ingredients mix together and incorporate smoother into the batter.
♦ Top the cake with more cookie crumbs. Not a necessary step, but it adds a little extra crunch, and of course, you can never have too many Oreos.
♦ Storing the cake. This cake can be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4-5 days. For leftovers, I like to leave pieces of cake out at room temp for about an hour or so to warm up the cake.
If you give this recipe a try and love it, be sure to leave a comment and star rating! Be sure to tag @thehungrykitchenblog on Instagram so I can see all of your delicious bakes! Happy baking! ♥
Chocolate Cookies and Cream Snack Cake
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ cup black cocoa powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- ½ cup strongly brewed coffee, cooled
- ½ cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Cookies and Cream Frosting
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ⅓-1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 8 Oreo cookies, crushed
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9x9 pan and line with parchment paper, if desired. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, black cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt.
- Add in the rest of the cake ingredients; sugar, vegetable oil, egg, coffee, milk, and vanilla extract. Whisk until everything is combined and the cake batter is smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Pop in the oven and bake for 28-32 minutes. A tooth pick should come out clean when inserted. Allow the cake to cool for about 10 minutes in the pan, then carefully transfer it to a cooling rack to finish cooling completely.
- To make the frosting, cream the butter on medium speed for about 2 minutes.
- Add in the powdered sugar, salt, and vanilla extract and begin beating everything together. Slowly pour in the ⅓ cup of heavy cream mix until combined and the frosting is fluffy. If you want your frosting a little thinner, add a few more tablespoons of heavy cream.
- Lastly, add in the crushed Oreo cookie crumbs. Once added, beat the frosting on a medium speed for about 2 minutes until it has become super light and fluffy.
- Top your cooled cake with the frosting and use a knife or offset spatula to spread it evenly. Top with more Oreo crumbs, if desired.