These red velvet whoopie pies are SO GOOD. There's no other way to say it-- they're just so dang good! They're soft, fluffy, and have just the right amount of chocolate flavor. And not to mention they're filled with a marshmallow cream cheese filling... So yeah, you definitely need to make these cookies!
Ingredients for these whoopie pies
The first thing you'll make are the cookies. They're somewhere between a cookie and cake, and super fluffy. For the cookies, here's are the ingredients you'll need.
• All-purpose flour
• Cocoa powder
• Baking soda
• Unsalted butter
• Brown sugar + granulated sugar
• Vanilla extract
• Red food coloring
These cookies have a luscious marshmallow cream cheese filling. All of the ingredients you'll need for this are listed below.
• Marshmallow fluff
• Cream cheese
• Powdered sugar
• Vanilla extract
What is a whoopie pie?
If you don't know what a whoopie pie is, I am so excited to fill you in! Despite the name, it's not actually a pie. A whoopie pie is two soft, cake-y, domed cookies that have a creamy filling. Essentially, it's a super cake-like sandwich cookie... and they're AMAZINGLY GOOD!
Tips for the best whoopie pies
• Don't over bake your cookies. Over baking the whoopie pie cookies can leave them hard and dry. Be sure to take them out after the suggested amount of time.
• Use good cream cheese. I've had tons of brands of cream cheese, and they are definitely not all the same. To keep it safe and guarantee deliciousness, I recommend using Philadelphia cream cheese for this recipe.
Storing the whoopie pies
Because the filling contains cream cheese, you want to be sure to keep it refrigerated. For storing filled cookies or extra filling, you can do one of two things:
• Fill and assemble all of the cookies all at once. Store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. You can let the cookies sit on the counter for about 30 minutes to soften up before eating.
• Store the filling separately, and fill as needed. If you want to fill your pies later, or if you've got extra filling left, you can store the filling in an airtight container on the in the fridge for about 4 days. You can keep the unfilled cookies on the counter for up to 4 days, and simply take it out of the fridge and fill cookies as needed!
Personally, I prefer a freshly sandwiched cookie, so I like to keep the cookies separate from the filling until I am know I'm going to eat them. But either way definitely works!
I hope you enjoy these fun and delicious cookies! Happy baking! ♥