Gingerbread is by far my absolute favorite winter flavor. It's so warm and cozy from all of the spices So today, we're making gingerbread cookies! These gingerbread cookies are soft and chewy, and bursting with gingerbread flavor.
INGREDIENTS FOR SOFT AND CHEWY WHOLE WHEAT GINGERBREAD COOKIES
These cookies are made with standard cookie ingredients, plus things like molasses and seasonal spices to get that gingerbread flavor. Here's a list of the ingredients you'll need to make these!
• All-purpose + whole wheat flour
• Baking soda
• Unsalted butter
• Light brown sugar + granulated sugar
• Vanilla extract
MAKING GINGERBREAD COOKIES
These cookies come together in just a few easy steps, and they don't require any chill time in the fridge! Here's how to make them:
Step 1: To start, preheat your oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set them aside.
Step 2: Mix together the softened butter, granulated sugar, and light brown sugar. Cream for 1-2 minutes until light and fluffy. Add in the molasses, eggs, and vanilla extract and mix to combine.
Step 3: Add in the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda, salt, and spices to the bowl. Mix just until the dough forms.
Step 4: Once your oven is preheated, roll the dough into (roughly) 2 inch balls, and place about 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets.
Step 5: Bake cookies for 9-11 minutes. Take out of the oven, let rest for about a minute, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely. Enjoy!
TIPS FOR THE BEST GINGERBREAD COOKIES
These cookies are super easy to make, but here are just a few simple things you can do to make sure you make the best cookies possible!
♦ Don't skimp on the spices! To really get that punch of gingerbread flavor in these cookies, I recommend adding the amount of spice called for in the recipe.
♦ Don't forget the molasses. I know it is one more thing to have in your pantry, but in all honestly, gingerbread just doesn't taste like gingerbread without molasses! So you definitely want to be sure to include it when making these cookies!
♦ Don't over bake your cookies. You want to be sure to bake your cookies no longer than the 9-11 minutes instructed. You want these cookies to be chewy! Over baking can make them harder than desired and dry.
♦ Warm up leftovers! These cookies are delicious once they've cooled completely. But especially if I'm having one with a cup of tea or coffee, I love popping them in the microwave for a 5-10 seconds to get it nice and warm.
If you give this recipe a try and love it, be sure to leave a comment and star rating! Be sure to tag @thehungrykitchenblog on Instagram so I can see all of your delicious bakes! Happy baking! ♥
Soft and Chewy Gingerbread Cookies
- 1 ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon clove
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup light brown sugar, packed
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup molasses
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set them aside.
- Cream together the softened butter, light brown sugar, and granulated sugar for 1-2 minutes until light and fluffy. Add in the molasses, eggs, and vanilla extract and mix to combine.
- Add in the flours, baking soda, salt, and spices. Mix just until the dough forms.
- Roll the dough into about 2" balls into a ball. Place a few inches apart on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake the cookies for 9-11 minutes. Allow them to cool on the cookie sheet for a few minutes, then transfer them to a cooling rack to finish cooling completely.