Why is it that stuffing a cookie with something makes it even more satisfying?! I'm not sure, but that's what we're doing! These rocky road cookies are thick, rich chocolate cookies that are loaded with slices of almond and chocolate chips. Each cookie is stuffed with a WHOLE marshmallow, making them super duper ooey gooey.
INGREDIENTS FOR STUFFED ROCKY ROAD COOKIES
Let's get baking! Nothing too fancy or crazy is needed to whip up a batch of these cookies. Here's your shopping list:
• All-purpose flour
• Cocoa powder
• Baking soda
• Unsalted butter
• Granulated + light brown sugar
• Vanilla extract
• Sliced almonds
• Chocolate chips
MAKING STUFFED ROCKY ROAD COOKIES
To begin, start by preheating your oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set them aside.
MAKING THE DOUGH
To start the dough, cream together the softened butter, granulated sugar, and light brown sugar. Cream together for about 1-2 minutes, until light and fluffy. Add in the eggs and vanilla extract and mix until combined. Add in the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix until the dough is formed. Lastly, mix in the sliced almonds and chocolate chips.
FORMING THE COOKIES
Next, grab your marshmallows and a large cookie scoop.
Use the large cookie scoop to scoop out balls of dough. Once scooped, roll the dough into a ball, then push your thumb into the center of the dough ball to create a divot or well for the marshmallow to sit. Press the whole marshmallow into the well and use your hands to carefully roll it into a ball, working the cookie dough around the marshmallow.
Place the cookie dough balls onto the prepared baking sheets, a few inches apart from each other. With your hand, gently press down the tops of each, flattening each ball of dough a bit. At this point, you can bake the cookies as is, or you can press a few more sliced almonds and chocolate chips onto the outside of the cookie dough.
BAKING THE COOKIES
Pop the cookies into the oven and bake for 14-15 minutes. Once out of the oven, allow them to cool for about 5-10 minutes on the baking sheet, then carefully transfer them to a cooling rack. *If the cookies spread a little too much, use a spatula to pull in the sides and round them back out.
If you give this recipe a try and love it, be sure to leave a comment and star rating! Be sure to tag @thehungrykitchenblog on Instagram so I can see all of your delicious bakes! Happy baking! ♥
Stuffed Rocky Road Cookies
- 2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened (2 sticks)
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs + 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- ¾ cup sliced almonds
- 14-16 marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set them aside.
- Cream together the softened butter, light brown sugar, and granulated sugar for 1-2 minutes until light and fluffy. Add in the eggs and vanilla extract and mix until combined.
- Add in the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, and espresso powder. Mix until the dough forms, Fold in the chocolate chips and sliced almonds.
- Use a large cookie scoop to scoop out the dough. Take each ball of dough and press a large divot in the center Take a whole marshmallow and press it into the divot. Carefully roll the dough into a ball, leaving only part of the marshmallow showing.
- Place the balls of dough about 3-4 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets. Press the tops of the dough down to flatten them a slightly.
- Bake the cookies for 14-15 minutes. *If the cookies spread a bit too much, use a spatula to pull in the sides and round them back out. Once baked, allow the cookies to cool for about 5-10 minutes on the baking sheet before carefully transferring them to a cooling rack.