Anyone else grow up eating (and loving) the Jiffy brand cornbread? I always got so excited when I saw that little blue box come out for dinnertime. And I'm pretty sure I usually ended up eating more cornbread than anything else at the dinner table. This cornbread recipe is very similar to that childhood memory of cornbread. It's slightly sweet, super fluffy, and just a bit of crumb.
What do I need for this recipe?
No fancy ingredients needed for this cornbread. Here is what you'll need:
• Yellow cornmeal
• All-purpose flour
• Baking powder
• Melted butter (unsalted)
For this recipe, you will need a 9x9 square baking pan.
To start, you'll preheat your oven to 400°F. Grease a 9x9 pan and line it with parchment paper and set it aside. TO make the batter, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a large bowl. Next, add the melted butter, milk, and eggs. Whisk everything together until the cornbread batter is smooth.
Now, you just pour the batter into your prepared pan and pop into the oven! I promise you-- the most difficult part of this recipe is waiting while the cornbread bakes. Bake for about 30 minutes, juuust until the top is starting to brown. Allow to cool for a few minutes before slicing. And you're done!
Don't like sweet cornbread?
That's okay! I grew up only eating sweet cornbread, so I love it. If it's not your thing, no worries! Feel free to decrease the amount of sugar added, or just omit it completely! I would recommend at least a few tablespoons for a great balance of flavor.
What should I serve cornbread with?
Cornbread is a great side dish to serve with lot of things. Here are some ideas for what it can go with!
• Barbecue. Sweet cornbread is a perfect accompaniment to a great plate of BBQ meats.
• Chili. Cornbread with chili is a classic pairing that is so tasty.
• Holiday meals. Having cornbread on a holiday table spread is always a great idea to add some variety to side dishes.
Want to fancy it up?
This is just your basic, delicious sweet cornbread recipe. It can easily be fancied up if you should so desire. If you're looking to kick it up another notch, here are a few things you can do.
• Add extras to the batter! You can add things like jalapeno slices, chopped chives, or corn to the batter to get it something extra.
• Serve it with butter. Delicious softened, salted butter is great slathered on cornbread. You could also serve it with a sweet cinnamon butter or honey for a sweeter taste.